2014 | VICTORIES AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

I've been absent around here for quite awhile but with NYE right around the corner, I wanted to pop in and properly close out 2014. Press refresh. I was debating what kind of post I wanted to do; maybe a "best of 2014" post or a "walk down memory lane" post like I did last year, but when I stumbled across Jess Connolly's "the burdens that came with 2014" I knew that just fit with where I was. It felt more appropriate.

There were a lot of monumental and celebratory days in 2014; days I can easily highlight to close the book, but I know there was also a lot of ordinary days, bad days, hard days woven in between. Celebrating the wins is important to me, but so is acknowledging the seemingly stagnant parts, too. Hence, Jess Connolly.

I think when I look back on 2014, it's separated into three very distinct parts/stages. Acts, for lack of a better word.


A C T I : G R A D U A T I O N

2014 found me as a second-semester senior. My mindset was all about seizing the day, staying up late, cherishing campus life, and trying to make plans for post graduation. Looking back, it was sweet and simple and fun. Everything about it. I received a job offer half way through and was sharing an apartment with two of my best friends. After four years of being on a college campus with one major and involved in a college ministry, all of it was comfortable and safe. There I had support and resources and truth that always kept me on track. Guardrails. Living within a comfort zone but anticipating graduation was exciting and liberating. Like finally taking training wheels off. 


A C T I I : J A P A N

I spent my summer in Japan for a missions trip, and this trip changed me. It changed my thought life, my outlook on the future, missions, souls, life, and God in general. I saw a bigger God, a bigger reason to pray, a bigger kingdom than the only one I often cared about, mine. I learned a lot -- and sometimes I wish I could go back to this time because these truths were so fresh and the kingdom seemed no near. It was a time when I was deeply in love with the God who loved me. I wad deeply cognizant of my sins but daily in the presence of Him, His grace was so near and sufficient.


A C T I I I : M I N N E A P O L I S

On August 30th, I moved 6 hours north to Minnesota; home of the first mall, the largest mall, the thousand lakes, the below zero winters, and the healthiest people on earth. And now a home to me. :) That's kind of how he last couple of months have been, making Minneapolis into my home... Navigating the city and then the work place, adjusting to a 9-to-5 schedule, developing friendships, discovering hobbies, finding churches, just finding a new rhythm that still felt genuine to me. Indeed there were a lot of adjustments I needed to make, but overall it's been a smooth and fun transition, I can't complain! God's provision is everywhere.

I'm thankful for a new year and a beat to take inventory of everything that just took place. I'm naturally an introspective one (at least in the past I have been), but by the end of 2014, I was consumed with doing well at work and then squeezing my time after for plans and happy hours and small groups that processing and meditating suddenly seemed painfully slow. Which I think is dangerous, cause I can just move and move and move. So in 2015, I want to be more vulnerable and full of confession. More journaling and processing and untangling and praying. Lay down the tracks before I move the train.

2014, what a year! :) Thankful for all that it entailed and how it shaped me today.
How was your 2014? Leave a comment below, I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments :

  1. Sounds like an amazing year. How ya liking winter so far ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You know, it actually hasn't been so bad so far! I think it's only been below 0 a couple of weeks, and I was actually back home during that time so I totally lucked out. I just wish it didn't get dark so early in the day!

      Delete

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground